Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mommy, what is MY number?

A moment spent with my six year old.

This past Thursday evening I was tucking my 6 year old back in bed (who waited up in her bed for me to get home from SAMmy's) when we somehow got on the subject of phone numbers. She wanted to know what her other number was, not the 8758 one, but her 'own' number. I said "honey, you don't have a number, if your friends want to call you they can call the house." Then she said, "I know, but I mean my 'own number' my 'self-own' number." (pointing to her chest) I asked her if she meant 'cell phone' and then tried to explain that most kids don't have a cell phone and she would have to wait until she's older. Then I tried to explain further by describing my phone, talking about who in the family has one, and I think it just wasn't going to make a difference how much I talked about it. :)
She was thinking I was saying 'self own' number and she wanted to know what her 'own' number was, her 'self own' number, the one she owns for herself. After a little while I think she was satisfied in her questions or she was just tired.

Ha Ha...the things kids hear and understand differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment